I’m Concerned About Myself
If you are in crisis:
- Call 911
- Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Text “Got5” to 741-741
If you are thinking about suicide, take steps to keep yourself safe:
- Make a promise to yourself not to do anything right now. Remind yourself suicidal thoughts come and go
- Avoid alcohol and drugs.
- Make your home safe by removing anything that could be used to hurt yourself.
- Stay hopeful. People do get through this.
- Reach out to someone you trust for help.
- Contact your primary or mental health care provider and make an appointment. Visit the New York State Office of Mental Health Program Directory to find a behavioral health provider near you.
If you are not sure how to talk about your suicidal thoughts, here are some things that might help:
- Describe your internal thoughts.
- If you have a plan to complete suicide, explain it to someone you trust.
- Specifically say that you are thinking about suicide.
- If you do not feel comfortable saying these things out loud: write a note, email, or a text and sit with someone you trust while they read your message.